SSMFL D2; Mursley United 3-0 Buckingham United

Mursley United – 3
Buckingham United – 0

(Match abandoned on 85 mins)


This local derby was brought to a premature end as tempers flared nine minutes from time, a late foul sparked a brawl on the pitch that took a few minutes to calm down before the referee brandished five red cards in total, as both sets of players protested that their team mates were being hard done by, the official blew his whistle and abandoned the game. With Spartan South Midlands Football League officials in attendance, various reports will now be submitted before a decision is made on what happens next.

The first half opened with chances for both sides & both keepers were called upon in the early exchanges, the hosts became more threatening as the game wore on and took the lead just past the half hour mark when a cross from their right was headed to the edge of the box where Tom Brazier had all the time in the world to volley first time into the top corner. Mursley were then denied what they thought was a stonewall penalty when a long range shot was blocked by a defender in the area but their calls for a spot kick were waved away, despite what they saw as a blatant handball.

Just four minutes into the second period a free kick awarded to the home side right on the eighteen yard line, just to the left of goal, saw Adam Bone curl around the wall and into the top corner to double his sides lead. The game was then put to bed with just under twenty minutes left when Bone collected a pass from Brazier and in turn he drilled the ball towards Nathan Skelton who had a defender on his back, he deftly flicked the ball into the path of Brazier who had continued his run into the box and he fired past George Zammit in the Buckingham goal to kill the game off as a contest.

Adam Bones shapes up to take free kick to double hosts lead

As the game appeared to be drifting to a close, a late tackle from Bone saw a twenty man brawl erupt, bodies from both benches got involved and for a while the officials could not get control, eventually things calmed down at which point Bone was shown a red card for the initial foul, but then the Mursley keeper Green & two goal hero Brazier were also shown red cards. Not done there it was then the visitor’s turn, the injured Nick Walton was next to be sent off as he lay getting treatment, and also Sonny Devine who had already been subbed off the pitch but was deemed to be involved in the disturbance enough to be ordered off.

As both parties tried to argue that their players were being wrongly identified, the ref called the game off, whilst both clubs await a decision the red cards will stand; Mursley next week face high flying Old Bradwell United in the Berks & Bucks senior trophy whilst Buckingham United face Sarratt whom they lost to in their first fixture of the season.

Please Note: If you use any of our material or images, please ensure you credit

After the game Sports Shots caught up with Mursley manager Jamie Lands:

For 2 pages (158 images) of match day photography please click here:

Comments are closed.