CCL D1; Buckingham Town CC II’s beaten by Westbury on Saturday

Buckingham Town CC II’s – 138 all out off 41 overs
Westbury CC – 225-8 off 53 overs


Buckingham Town CC II’s were beaten on Saturday at Bourton Road by near neighbours Westbury CC, and the defeat twinned with Shipton gaining more points in their defeat to Twyford means Steve Beck’s men return to the foot of the Cherwell Cricket League Division One table after just a week of getting themselves off it. Town started well enough with an early wicket but then toiled in the gale force winds as Brennan Gough & Olly Tice both made half centuries, introducing the spin of Wasim Fayyaz eventually removed the pair and from there the hosts took a succession of quick wickets but the Westbury tail dug in to end on two hundred & twenty-five, Buckingham got off to a good start but a mid to late order collapse saw the last seven wickets fall for just thirty-four runs to signal an eighty-seven run defeat, which included a 5’fer for Charlie Williams.

The visitor’s batting first lost Tom Gurney when he was bowled by Greg Liebenberg with their score on twenty-five, but from there Gough & Tice paired up for one hundred & two runs between them both reaching their fifties in the twenty-fourth & twenty-seventh over respectively. Fayyaz eventually removed them both in the same over, Jason Ell catching Gough whilst his team mate returned the ball to the bowler, within a further twelve runs Callum Price trapped Will Gurney lbw & then had George Markham caught behind by Alex O’Dell, again both wickets in the same over.

Price then bowled Harry Smith who made six, and from one hundred & twenty-seven for one the away side were suddenly one hundred & fifty for six but the Westbury tail enders showed some resolve; Charlie Williams & Sam Harper became the second highest scoring partnership as they added thirty-nine until Liebenberg had the former pick out Ell out on the boundary, having made thirty Sam Harper then fell quickly being caught by the Town overseas player off the bowling of Nic Bond, but the final two batsmen then added a further thirty as Charlie Harper ended twenty-four not out & Harry Williams eight unbeaten, Price finished top wicket taker with three for thirty-three runs.

Tom Buggey top scored for Town with 30

Price then opened the home innings alongside O’Dell and they reached thirty-five before the former was caught by Tom Gurney off Charlie Tredwell, Tom Buggey paired up with the Town wicket keeper and they added a further twenty-five until O’Dell stretched too far forward and was stumped, but at sixty for two things looked good. Buggey alongside his skipper Steve Beck got to thirty in a partnership worth twenty-nine but was eventually caught by Tice, Ben Curley had his stumps removed by Charlie Williams & suddenly the score was one hundred & four for four, Andy Hill was trapped lbw with his very first delivery, Jason Ell joined Beck but nine runs later the captain was caught to then bring Albert Johnson out to bat.

Alongside Ell they made twenty-two until the latter was given leg before, Nic Bond didn’t score at all and Johnson caught soon after signalled the end, Liebenberg & Fayyaz were the final pairing but Harry Williams bowled the former with his score on twelve; Charlie Williams finished with figures of five wickets for forty-seven runs off his fourteen overs, Harry Williams took three for seven off just seventeen deliveries.

Match analysis:
League table:

Please Note: If you use any of our material or images, please ensure you credit

For 2 pages (168 images) of match day photography please click here:

Comments are closed.