BCC SF; Winslow United 5-2 Buckingham Athletic

Winslow United – 5
Buckingham Athletic – 2

(agg: 6-4)


Winslow United came from behind on the night & on aggregate to beat their local rivals on Tuesday at Elmfield Gate to record their first win in five attempts over their arch enemies this season and book their Buckingham Charity Cup final place where they will face Aylesbury FC, ironically at the home of Athletic on Bank Holiday May Day. Trailing from the first leg United went further behind when Jordan Appleton struck on a counter attack but once Steve Garbutt equalised from a corner The Ploughmen never looked back, even affording to have a penalty saved on their way to a three-one lead at the break, a late second half red card for The Ath saw two further goals kill off the game as a contest and a late Kyle Stimpson strike was a mere consolation for the boys in blue.

Matt Cruse forced Buckingham custodian Josh McAdoo down low to his near post early on after finding some space on the right on the area, the next Winslow attack broke down high up the pitch from where Kevin Owusu sent Appleton racing away down the left and he made thirty yards before picking out Robbie Carter in the middle of the box but from close range he cleared the crossbar. Ath went close again when Ryan Kelsey saw an opportunity from midfield hitting it towards the nearest upright that had Winslow keeper Sam Ashmead having to get down quickly and block, at the opposite end Cruse won a corner off Stuart Ironmonger and from there the deadlock was broken just ahead of the quarter hour mark.

Steve Garbutt levels

The hosts had three attempts at the set piece and after two clearances back over the byline the third was headed towards the eighteen yard line where Owusu collected and advanced before threading the perfect pass between the two yellow centre halves for Appleton to race onto and draw Ashmead out to curl around the isolated custodian. The lead lasted just six minutes as a corner curled in from the United right found the head of Garbutt in front of goal and he planted into the back of the net unchallenged, in the same amount of time it took to level they then took the lead as a Simon King cross was met by Marcus Hussey who diverted it towards one corner but in front of the keeper a defender stuck out a leg to put across into the opposite giving the shot stopper no chance.

By this stage the home side were rampant and within three minutes Cruse made it three-one when he latched onto a cross which was missed by the blue backline to tuck past McAdoo, before the visitor’s could catch their breath their hosts had a penalty when Cruse was felled inside the area but Ryan Freshwater saw his spot kick saved, Cruse was first to the rebound but his drive crashed back off the goal frame and was eventually cleared. As much as the away side tried to keep the ball from their goal mouth they were constantly under siege anytime they lost it, one attack headed clear saw Aaron King released upfield and from the edge of the box his fierce low drive had McAdoo having to use both hands to turn around his post. H/T: 3-1

Late red card for Jack Menday

The second half was never going to live up to the first and some good defending from both sides few chances were created, an early cross from the Athletic wing found Owusu at the back post but sliding in he could only lift over the top, substitutions then delayed the game and one almost had an immediate impact when Harry Dalton was fed inside his marker to advance into the area but from the edge of the six-yard box he fired the wrong side of the near post. Then with nine minutes of regulatory time left a Buckingham attack was cleared long for Alex Kedzierski to chase downfield, as he neared the area Jack Menday came across to challenge and both went down, the referee brandished a straight red card to the disbelief of the Ath midfielder.

From the resulting free kick Simon King drilled low across the area into McAdoo’s bottom left hand corner to finally end any thoughts of a comeback, although at the opposite end Ashmead had to be alert when Stimpson got away making a great block from close range, Dalton then found time & space down the left and as he went past the advancing McAdoo he squared into the middle where Kelsey slid in to block and luckily the ball got stuck under his legs, allowing him to recover and clear. A late shout for handball in the United goalmouth was waved play on and five minutes into added time the hosts won a throw in the corner, launched into Aaron King on the edge of the six-yard area he took control on his chest before swivelling to fire inside the near post, from the restart Ath went straight upfield and pulled one back through Stimpson, his shot taking a slight deflection on its way into the bottom corner. F/T: 5-2

Attendance: 126

Please Note: If you use any of our material or images, please ensure you credit sportsshots.org.uk

After the game Sports Shots caught up with Winslow manager Paul Alleyne:
And also with Athletic boss Neil Griffiths:

For matchday photography please click here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskTT4vt1

Comments are closed.