SSMFL D1: Winslow United 1 Wodson Park 2 by Alex Gilder

Report by Alex Gilder

High-flying Winslow United were dealt a setback in their promotion bid as they suffered a surprising 2-1 loss to a dogged and determined Wodson Park.

Winslow United – Stand

The opening ten minutes was mediocre with Winslow looking slightly off their usual pace but it had to be said Wodson looked well up for the fight.

The first real chance of the game came Winslow’s way through a delightful move that saw Aaron King play Sean Coles in behind with Coles whipping a peach of a ball in to the centre of the box as Luke Desmond manage to get on the end of it but could only find the gloves of Joe Wells. Winslow were now really getting a foothold in the game and pressing the Wodson backline.

The pressure nearly told with a fantastic sweeping move by the yellow and blues ending with Simon King hitting the upright and the ball rebounding to him again but he could shot narrowly wide.

More Winslow chances came as Alex Kedzierski freed Desmond, who found Aaron King in the middle who controlled and shot but was equaled by a cracking tip over the bar by Wells.

However all the Winslow pressure was undone as light and dark blues found themselves 1-0 up, a goal that was totally against the run of play. An intended cross from Antonio Fusco was parried onto the bar by Sam Ashmead, but the ball fell straight to the feet of Jordan Halls who tapped in for the visitors.

Now the complexion of the game game was changing in favour of Wodson Park as the had a goal disallowed for offside from Ciaran Donegan. Then minutes later the ball was in the back of the Winslow net once again but another offside, this time the hosts failing to deal with a ball in. The yellow and blues were riding their luck midway through the first half.

Credit to Winslow they finished the half strongly with a plethora of chances. The first key chance coming from Grant Karwacinski who blazed over from a Simon King cross. The second one was the best opportunity to get back on level terms as the two brothers Simon and Aaron King were bearing down on goal as Simon passed to Aaron who slotted home only to be cancelled out for offside.

The half time whistle sounded as Wodson Park went in the dressing room the happier of the two teams 1-0 up but Paul Alleyne’s men more or less dominated while the visitors were making the breakthrough hard to come by for the hosts.

A very good early start to the second half from David Stingemore’s players with Halls getting in behind the backline and shot with a unconvincing save from Ashmead but Karwacinski cleared any danger that was present. From the resulting corner Ciaran Donegan found himself free six yards out from goal as he volleyed in to make it 2-0 to the visiting outfit.

Tempers were really flaring for both teams now because the flow of the game kept being halted by the referee. Those tempers ultimately boiled over for Halls as he was shown yellow for his second bookable offence for kicking out.

Still both teams were not creating many clear-cut chances since Wodson doubled their lead.

Simon King had a free kick in a dangerous position but was equalled by a good low save from Wells who was looking unbeatable.

Another home team chance came with Aston Goss floating in towards Karwacinski, who could only manage to head over the bar.

The chances kept coming for Winslow as Simon King once again tried his luck from long range but this time the shot clipped the top of the net and out for a goal kick. Winslow were once again having another spell of dominance but Wodson Park were having none of it as the would not allow the ball to go into their net.

The game was all yellow and blue now and they could of halved the deficit but the referee called a free kick instead of a penalty with what was a really close call. From the resulting free kick Aston Goss curled viciously towards the back stick but produced another fine save by Wells. This time Kedzierski played a beautiful ball through to Aaron King who could only fire over the bar but to his credit the recovering defender did just about enough to put him off.

On the counter attack the visitors could of put the game to bed as George Lyons was through on goal but could only managed to hit the post. A lucky escape for Winslow but Wodson had counter attacked brilliantly throughout the whole game. Back down the Winslow end where Aaron King laid off Simon King but once again another great save by Wells who was having the game of his life. Finally the hosts pressure paid off through a free kick smashed into the wall by Simon King with the ball falling to Aaron King who made it 2-1.

It was a nervous last couple of minutes for Wodson Park but they ultimately held on to complete a 2-1 win. Winslow had spells of dominance throughout the whole game and created a plentiful of chances but it was not to be for the high flyers today. However the resilience shown by David Stingemore’s men will be something he can be proud of as they took three points back to Hertfordshire.


Comments are closed.