SL D1C; Sutton Coldfield Town 2-3 Aylesbury United

Sutton Coldfield Town – 2
Aylesbury United – 3


Aylesbury United upset the odds by beating Sutton Coldfield Town on Saturday at the Central Ground, taking the lead early on they were quickly pinned back but scored twice more to find themselves three-one up with less than half an hour played and protected their lead until almost midway through the second period when Sutton pulled a goal back, this set up a nervous ending to the game where the hosts bombarded the away defence looking for an equaliser, but the visitor’s backline stood firm albeit with the help late on of the goal frame to record the second successive win to push themselves up to eleventh in the Southern League Division One Central table. After the game Ducks manager Ben Williams could not hide his delight with the win that ended the West Midlands side run of eight without defeat, and sees his side extend their run to one defeat in the last seven; despite the defeat the home ultra’s were in full flow with their rendition of ‘tequila’ but in freezing temperatures during the afternoon surely brandy would have been more suitable for those on the sidelines!

The game got off to a flying start when Aylesbury took the lead after just four minutes from a corner, Jake Bewley swung the set piece in towards the front post where Callum Mapley was unmarked to thump his header past Sutton keeper Lewis Gwilliams, but that lead lasted just five minutes when an excellent cross from the left wing was too high for Jack Wood to reach and waiting behind Ryan Nesbitt had time to pick his spot heading into the bottom corner. A clever throw in routine from Town saw the ball aimed towards Ryan Moore who allowed it though his legs and turning his defender he collected to advance to the byline and pull back to Mitchell Piggon, on the six-yard line he could only lift high over Archie Davis in the United goal.

Callum Mapley celebrates opener

The visitor’s stunned their hosts once again on twenty-three minutes by regaining the lead, midfielder Harry Jones drove down the right wing and lost his marker before powering a shot at goal that Gwilliams had to parry, the ball worked back to Greg Williams and as he shot Tre Mitford got the final touch to direct it inside the post. Coldfield came back and a fierce drive from Nesbitt looked dangerous until a deflection saw it spin away for a corner, and the home side had a number of corners in quick succession without threatening of which the last was easily cleared and saw United break to extend their lead on twenty-eight minutes, Jones sent away down the right wing from where he crossed, it looked comfortable for Gwilliams to come & collect however Alex Moore instinctively stuck out his head and could only watch as the ball rolled into the back of the net.

Aylesbury scored again before the break, Max Hercules angled a pinpoint cross into the back post where Jones flashed his effort across Gwilliams and into the far top corner, however a raised flag ruled offside, at the opposite end a great cross from James Hurst found his skipper James Mutton in the box but he could only head over, and the final action of the half saw Alex Moore fed on the edge of the eighteen yard area and his low shot escaped the despairing dive of Davis but flew inches wide of the far upright. H/T: 1-3

Ryan Nesbitt is congratulated after first goal

Sutton came out for the second half with two substitutions to try and get back in the game, and almost immediately one of those Jonathan Letford caused chaos in the United box skipping a couple of challenges as he drove towards goal, eventually running into a brick wall he tried to square to a colleague however Wood got the slightest of touches to allow the ball to then be cleared long downfield, ahead of Nesbitt being fed in the area with his back to goal he managed to turn and fire across goal but Davis got down well to smoother.

A throw to Aylesbury saw Hercules collect twenty yards from goal and turning his marker he explored space across the middle of the pitch before sending a dipping drive narrowly over Gwilliams crossbar, then just past the hour mark the home side got a goal back when Nesbitt saw a long range effort evade the grasp of Davis & roll over the line, and with it Aylesbury had twenty-seven minutes to hold on for the win. The pressure from there was relentless, although Mitford did have a chance when he was fed inside the penalty arc with his back to goal, he out fought his marker to turn and shoot but a huge deflection saw the ball spiral out for a corner.

United all smiles after final whistle

As Sutton tried to head the corner away they only found Mitford at the back of the box where he controlled on his chest before volleying over the top, at the other end a corner found Mutton who had time to steady himself before drilling his shot wide of the near post. As time wore on every time the home side gained possession they aimed everything into the box, one such long ball for Letford to chase after saw hesitancy from Davis who stayed on his line, but the substitute managed to put a boot out to flick across the box and covering was Mapley, who with an empty goal had to launch the ball into the darkening skies over his own crossbar to clear the danger.

Nesbitt fed full back Ben George on the edge of the United area where he controlled before swivelling to escape his marker but then could only scoop his shot over the top, with two minutes left the hosts were a lick of paint away from their equaliser when chaos again inside the area saw bodies throwing themselves at the ball to block but it fell to Piggon who toe poked past Davis but it came back off the post allowing the keeper to pounce.  In added time Letford did well down the flank and beating his defender got to the byline and with bodies in the box he fizzed the ball too high and too fast across the six yard box and it despairingly flew away for a United throw, and with it their last chance had gone. F/T: 2-3

Attendance: 170

Please Note: If you use any of our material or images, please ensure you credit

After the game Sports Shots spoke to Aylesbury manager Ben Williams: 


Spend some tequila time with the STFC ultra’s:


For match day photography (106 images over two pages) please click here:

Comments are closed.