SSMFL D1; Winslow United 3-1 Ampthill Town

Winslow United – 3
Ampthill Town – 1


Winslow United maintained their push for second place in the Spartan South Midlands Football League Division One table, but for an hour or so looked like they were going to rue a hatful of missed chances; behind to a rare Ampthill attack moments before the break when Jamie Cerminara swivelled to fire home they then started the second half against a rejuvenated Town side who, following a first half where they had defended for their lives, started on the front foot. However, once United won a penalty after Aaron King was felled inside the box, Ryan Freshwater levelled the game and from that point the home side dominated but left it late before scoring twice more, the third being controversial which caused such debate amongst the Ants back line and the referee that full back Glenn Cooksley was shown two yellow card in quick succession leaving his side to face the final few minutes down to ten men, but on the balance of play both managers agreed that the hosts had fully deserved the three points.

Ampthill were first to threaten when a ball downfield for Cerminara to chase after had Winslow keeper Sam Ashmead having to advance from his area to head away, but on four minutes the home side had their visitor’s defence throwing themselves in front of a succession of shots when Aaron King got ahead of his marker only for Town custodian Josh Thompson to come sliding out at his feet, from the acutest of angles King managed to recover and aim for goal which saw Cooksley sliding in to block on the line but his clearance only found King again whose second attempt found the defender still on the post to clear again, despite the best efforts of Dan Parsons & Sean Coles trying to keep the ball in play the away side somehow got it out to safety.

A cross from the Winslow right found the head of Coles in the middle however he could only loop the ball up in the air where Thompson had to follow its flight until it landed safely on top of the netting, Aaron King then played a one-two with Parsons being aiming for the back post but his effort was never on target. Moments later a corner to the home side curled in saw Thompson come out to punch but the ball eluded his outstretched arm to find Aaron King at the back post but at full stretch he could only help the ball out wide, ahead of a ball played through the middle of the Town backline which saw Parsons in on goal, rounding Thompson who dived at his feet he advanced a yard too far which allowed the keeper to stick out a hand and push out for a corner.

Jamie Cerminara celebrates Ampthill opener

A throw then saw Parsons released down the left wing and he delivered a pinpoint cross into Alex Kedzierski at the back of the box, he volleyed back across goal forcing Thompson to readjust and somehow got fingertips to it to divert past his post, before Simon King powered a free kick over the top from twenty-five yards. It took until the twenty-fourth minute for Ampthill to have an attempt on target when Cerminara drifting away from goal fired low from twenty yards out but Ashmead was behind it all the way, at the other end a free kick to Winslow saw Simon King cross into the box and despite bodies tussling to get a touch it bounced harmlessly off for a goal kick. Then on the stroke of half time Ampthill took the lead, a corner swung in wasn’t cleared and the ball fell perfectly to Cerminara on the six yard line who pounced to fire low past Ashmead. H/T: 0-1

An early Winslow cross after the break found Kieron Schmidt at the near post but he could only screw wide, Parsons attacked down the channel before driving across goal and wide of the upright, and Aaron King saw a shot from the edge of the box comfortably saved by Thompson. King was then fed again twenty yards from goal, holding the ball up well he turned his marker before shooting straight into the gloves of the Town keeper, then on sixty-seven minutes the hosts won a penalty.

Aaron King was away down the left and as he powered into the area Ash Mead came across and slid in to challenge; the United striker going over the defenders outstretched leg and with a clear view behind the referee pointed immediately to the spot, Freshwater tucking home to level matters. The home side were now ruthless with their attacks and Parsons got down the left but his cross lifted over the crossbar before Simon King drove forward from midfield before unleashing a stinging drive that flew inches wide of the Town keeper’s right hand post.

Luke Desmond puts Winslow ahead

As time ticked away any hopes the Town side had of holding on for a point were dashed with six minutes remaining, a cross from the right by substitute Shiblu Miah eluded the Ampthill defence and keeper & at the back post fellow sub Luke Desmond side footed into the unguarded net. Desmond then did really well working hard down the left wing, battling it out shoulder to shoulder with his marker but getting the better of him to get to the byline and pull back across the eighteen yard box to Simon King who fired straight at Thompson, then with a minute to go the home side put the game to bed with some controversy.

Ampthill conceded possession high up the pitch and the ball was knocked long down field to Aaron King out on the left wing, with Coles galloping through midfield unmarked the striker passed to his team mate but the ball hit a divot and bounced up striking the midfielder high up his body, as the Ampthill defence screamed for handball play was waved on and Coles drove into the box before slotting past Thompson. As the home players celebrated the goal the Town defence surrounded the official, the protests were long and too strong from Cooksley who was shown two yellow cards within seconds of each other meaning he was first to the showers. F/T: 3-1

Attendance: 83

Please Note: If you use any of our material or images, please ensure you credit

After the game Sports Shots caught up with Winslow manager Paul Alleyne: 
And also with Ampthill boss Paul Toms: 

For match photography (127 images over two pages) please click here:

Comments are closed.