TVCWFLC; Buckingham Athletic Ladies 8-0 Ascot United Ladies Reserves

Buckingham Athletic Ladies – 8

Ascot United Ladies – 0

Buckingham Athletic Ladies eased past Ascot United Ladies reserves on Sunday in the Thames Valley Counties Women’s Football League Cup first round, but full credit to the visitors who competed for ninety minutes with just nine players due to unavailability which was duly noted by the Athletic manager & captain after the game. With the game put to bed long before the half time whistle, the home side gave game time to all the squad that attended, with eight goals scored by five different goal scorers it was a pleasing afternoon for the manager to see goals spread amongst her team.

Athletic took the lead with just fifty-five seconds on the clock when skipper Kerry Stapleton drove at goal from midfield and from the edge of the box smashed over Cara O’Brien in the Ascot goal and into the back of the net, just sixty seconds later it was two when Jordan Heron exploited the space on the right to advance towards goal and smash past O’Brien giving the forlorn keeper no chance whatsoever.

Continuing their relentless wave of attacks the hosts again threatened when Stapleton got down their right and forced the United keeper to stick out a boot at her near post to divert for a corner, the resulting corner was cleared to the edge of the area where Dani Roberts lifted over the crossbar. Stapleton again had space to discover down the left wing and her attempted centre to Evie Hawkins eluded both the Buckingham striker and an Ascot defender, waiting behind Heron fired wide.

Jade Copas heads home

The third goal arrived on nineteen minutes when Stapleton crossed from the wing and as no defenders tried to deal with it and O’Brien stood rooted to the spot in nipped Jade Copas to head home. Within two minutes they had a fourth when Stapleton received the ball twenty yards out and she sent a dipping shot over the keeper which brushed the underside of the bar as it went in.

Heron then tried to add to her tally with a shot from the right that saw Carol Checkley having to stick out a boot to divert for a corner, before Alex Miller saw her effort from eighteen yards pushed onto the top of the netting by O’Brien. Hawkins was working hard to get on the end of crosses & passes and finally opened her account just before the half hour mark, a ball knocked into the box saw her nip inbetween two defenders to slot home.

Hawkins attacked again only to be challenged on the edge of the area, the loose ball rolled out to Heron who went for goal but could only find the waiting gloves of O’Brien, the next chance saw Hawkins again burst forward from midfield to latch onto a long ball over the top but she lifted over the crossbar. H/T: 5-0

Despite numerous changes at the break it only took Athletic four minutes to get their sixth when Nicole Britten created some space in the Ascot half, Miller held her run back perfectly to beat the offside trap and latching onto the pass she chipped over the keeper. Soon after a corner to the home side was half cleared by the United backline but only as far as Sam Jolley who flashed her shot wide of the back post.

Jordan Heron complete hatrick

Courtney Davey-Ward slipped a perfect pass through the middle for Copas to then chase after, her shot saved brilliantly by the legs of O’Brien, and she was soon busy again when a defender completely missed her kick allowing Miller a free run on goal, she could however only shoot straight at the shot stopper who grateful caught with both hands.

On sixty-eight minutes Buckingham scored their seventh when Heron again used her pace down the right channel, receiving the ball she simply headed for the near post before slotting home, soon after Ascot almost had a consolation when a throw out on their right saw Hannah Swallow in behind the Athletic backline but she could only lift over the top.

With ten minutes left Heron completed her hatrick when yet again her pace was far too much for an initial challenge, as another defender came across to cover she was also beaten for pace and from the tightest of angles the Athletic forward fired into the bottom corner. There was still time for Miller to feed Christina Jones late on and her effort was inches away from the target. F/T: 8-0

Please Note: If you use any of our material or images, please ensure you credit

After the game Sports Shots spoke with Athletic manager Carmen Robinson & captain Kerry Stapleton: 

For match photography click here:

Comments are closed.