FAT; Yate Town 1-1 Dorchester Town

Yate Town – 1

Dorchester Town – 1

Yate Town FC


The drive back from Cornwall saw Sports Shots stop off in South Gloucestershire to witness a pulsating FA Trophy first qualifying round fixture where Southern League Division One South league leaders Yate Town entertained higher level Dorchester Town who are in the lower echelons of the Southern League Premier Division South League. The visitors dominated the opening stages of the game with some eye catching pass and move football that deserved more reward but the home defence kept them at bay and slowly grew into the game as the half wore on, and despite the wet conditions two goals in the final fifteen minutes of the match means the two sides have to do it all again on Tuesday for the replay in Dorset, where both sides will feel confident after this showing that they can progress further in the competition.

The away side attacked from the off with Ben Seymour who only joined on Friday on loan from League Two side Exeter City, his cross from their left was fizzed across the box where home custodian Lewis Thomas stuck out a boot to block but he could only divert up to the head of Cameron Murray but he could only nod wide, the first chance for the hosts came shortly after when Nick Peare angled a cross towards the back post where Olly Mehew was inches away from connecting. Dorchester wide man Luke Winsper then collected a ball some thirty yards from goal and with little other option went for goal with a dipping drive that eluded the reach of Thomas but bounced up off the crossbar and over.

Yate defence were busiest in first half

The visitor’s continued to threaten when Winsper played a great one-two to get in behind the home backline, his ball into the six yard box looked promising until a defender emerged to stick out a boot to divert for a corner, ahead of Antonio Diaz receiving the ball on the corner of the box, his low drive forcing Thomas away to his left to gather. A throw on the Dorchester left allowed Winsper to then cut in from the wing across field before driving low past the far post; Yate were still trying to get a foothold in the game at this stage with the occasional foray into enemy territory, Peare smashing a loose ball over the top from twenty yards high into the fir trees behind the goal.

At the opposite end a high ball saw Yate centre half Josh Ford attempt to challenge Seymour and flick the ball back to his keeper, however a lack of power saw the striker away on goal and from the angle he fired across goal and wide of the back post, and on the half hour mark another ball in from their left saw Diaz stretching to get to the cross but he could only help it behind for a goal kick. The hosts wanted a penalty when Mehew outwitted his marker on the left touchline to gather a long lump upfield before heading for goal, entering the box he went down under a challenge but the official waved play on, the ball cleared out to Peare some thirty yards out who again cleared the birds from the tops of the fir trees. H/T: 0-0

Soon after the restart Yate midfielder Sam Kamara fired wide from outside the box, and moments later a defensive slip at the other end allowed the ball to be played across to Diaz whose curling effort heading for the top corner had Thomas leaping up to push over single handedly, and he was busy again when Seymour beat the offside trap to race through one on one but the keeper advanced to block with his legs. Yate threatened again when Ross Langworthy to the right of goal turned his marker inside out before driving low forcing Dorchester keeper Kingsley Latham down to his near post to push away.

Ben Seymour scored on debut

A goal kick was then headed back into the visitor’s half where Peare fed recently introduced substitute Ben Brooks whose angled drive was inches from the top corner, but then on seventy-five minutes the deadlock was broken by the away side when Aaron Rodriguez pulled back across goal to Seymour who tapped home from close range. Thomas almost immediately after the goal kept his side in the game saving at point blank range from Seymour, and his team mates then did their bit by equalising just five minutes after the opener.

From the save Yate moved the ball quickly upfield down the right and Sam Boulton crossed from the flank and in the middle Brooks headed into the bottom corner. Both sides then went in search of a winner, Dorchester firstly saw a free kick on their right floated into the box flicked onto Callum Rose who lifted over the crossbar, their next attack broken down by the hosts and fed up to Brooks who stabbed over the top. In the final minute some good movement again saw the ball fed into Rodriguez who fired inches over which signalled the final action of a competitive game that needs another ninety minutes plus to resolve who progresses into the next round. F/T: 1-1

Attendance: 175

Please Note: If you use any of our material or images, please ensure you credit sportsshots.org.uk

To view our match photography please click on the following link: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmuY1wGq

Replay result: Dorchester Town 2-0 Yate Town

Comments are closed.