BCC; Buckingham Athletic 0-2 Daventry Town

Buckingham Athletic – 0

Daventry Town – 2

Buckingham Athletic put up a brave performance against higher level opponents Daventry Town on Sunday in the Buckingham Charity Cup Final but were undone in the first half by two goals in Mark Carter’s final game in charge at Stratford Fields. They had chances to get back in the game, Robbie Carter hit the crossbar late on, but Daventry always looked a threat going forward and saw the game out to lift the trophy on a warm & sunny afternoon.

The hosts had the first chance at goal when a Ryan Marsden throw in found Chris Stapleton in the Town area, he turned and got a shot away but Daventry keeper Lustin Cerga gathered comfortably, whilst the visitor’s first effort saw Adam Confue seize on a poor pass out of the Athletic defence & drive forward ten yards before shooting however a covering defender got a touch on the ball to help deflect into Lewis Dench’s gloves.

The next Daventry attack saw a header away collected by wide man Adam Creaney who took a touch to control before firing wide of Dench’s left-hand post. On eighteen minutes a cross from Town front man Kieran Fitzgerald saw a touch from Athletic skipper Dan Staley wrong foot everyone and Jack Carter had to clear for a corner. Bleu McNeil crossed from the right and at the back post Creaney was at full stretch to head down but Dench was able to gather.

Athletic management for the last time

Confue then seized on a clearance from the Buckingham defence, pushing forward he powered a low drive narrowly wide, and Creaney curled in a great cross from the left touchline to the back post where running in Fitzgerald headed over. Athletic fought back with Robbie Carter down the right, he had a personal battle with his marker which he won, getting to the edge of the box he crossed into the middle but with no one forward the chance was wasted.

Daventry midfielder Tom McGowan got away into the Buckingham area and as he aimed to shoot Sam Olawale tracked back brilliantly to slide in and tackle, win the ball and clear upfield. But just as Buckingham looked comfortable containing their opponents, all their hard work was undone by two goals in the final sixteen minutes of the half.

On twenty-nine minutes a ball into the six-yard box evaded a couple of attempted clearances, played back in to Fitzgerald with back to goal he turned and slotted past Dench, then in the final minute a corner swung in and as a mass of bodies went up, the ball flew into the back of the net off Staley with some power. H/T: 0-2

Daventry having the upper hand continued to probe in the second half, Dean Lukeman pushing forward from full back managed to get some space but could only fire over the top, & some brief respite for the home side when a shot was cleared from the Daventry six-yard box was soon back up the other end, Fitzgerald about to shoot when a flailing boot managed to take off his toe and divert for a corner.

Robbie Carter hit bar late on

As the second half wore on a couple of substitutions breathed some new life into the home side, Rory Busby newly introduced laid off to Neil King to force a good save from Cerga down to his right, before Stapleton broke the Town offside trap and his acrobatic scissor kick deflected away for a corner. From the set piece Stapleton flicked on with his head and in front of goal Robbie Carter turned the ball onto the crossbar with the rebound cleared to safety.

Daventry came back with Creaney who from the right fired along the six-yard line to which Elliot Herbert got a touch, but a deflection took it away for a corner, their next cross found Confue at the back post where he had to stoop down low to get his head to the ball but could only loop over the top. Athletic tried again to get something back, a loose pass at the back for Daventry saw King go for goal from twenty yards but he got under it and lifted over the top.

Creaney then saw a cross come back off the crossbar for the away side, then with five minutes left Buckingham were close to setting up a dramatic finale when Stapleton climbed highest to meet a cross, he headed down but somehow Cerga got down to the foot of his near post to push away for a corner. In the final minute another Athletic free kick saw Carter flick on and wide, but by now the result was done & dusted. F/T: 0-2

Attendance: 104

Please Note: If you use any of our material or images, please ensure you credit sportsshots.org.uk

Presentations after the game: 
Sports Shots caught up with departing manager Mark Carter & skipper Dan Staley: 

For match photography, please click here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskBjjmb9

Comments are closed.