NBDL; Buckingham United 6-1 Tattenhoe

Buckingham United – 6

Tattenhoe – 1

Buckingham United clinched the North Bucks & District League Division One title on Saturday with a thumping win over Tattenhoe and dominated the majority of the game, the visitors enjoying a brief respite after scoring a late consolation and hitting the woodwork. But by then the damage had been inflicted upon the team in red, they simply had no answer to the waves of attack their hosts threw at them, & Buckingham now have a cup final to look forward to in their search of a league & cup double.

Tattenhoe were forced into an early change, before the whistle had started the game, when goalkeeper Paul Clark sustained a hand injury in the warm up and had to be replaced by outfield player Conor White. The game started dry & warm but the rain started just before the break and was relentless until the end, making the conditions difficult for both players, spectators & reporters!

It took just thirty-five seconds for the home side to have their first attempt at goal when Ryan Guinnane had a shot from the edge of the Tattenhoe box clip off a defender and spiral away for a corner. The Tattenhoe stand in keeper pushed the cross away but first to the ball was Dan Parkin who got a shot away and the ball bounced back off the post, running in Mitchell Young lifted the ball over the bar and onto the roof of the net from close range.

Guinnane fired into the back of the net from a through pass but a raised flag thwarted the celebrations, before a back pass aimed towards White left him rather short and as Young challenged the keepers clearance hit the United front man and fell nicely for Ryan Howkins but from twenty yards he rolled the ball wide of the right hand post. Ricky McAdam then played a one-two with Guinnane and worked himself some space inside the box, but White pushed his fierce drive away two handed.

On nine minutes came the goal the home side had been threatening from the start, a ball fizzed across the box wasn’t dealt with and Parkin back heeled from twelve yards and it crept inside the far post. The home side continued to press, a twenty-five yard free kick was curled wide by Conna Sirett before Howkins swung in a corner that Young could only head over from in front of goal. Aaron Jones was next to try, a free kick into the Tattenhoe box fell to him to turn and shoot instinctively but White was behind it all the way.

Mitchell Young scores his first

With all the chances spurned it was incredibly still only eighteen minutes into the game when United doubled their lead, McAdam got away down the right and squared across goal to Young in front of goal who slotted home. The visitor’s had a rare chance when a lofted free kick into the United area found Lee Beeton but he could only lift over the top, and there were further chances for the home side when McAdam & then Howkins fired straight at White, and skipper Bobby Cooney almost scored when he headed over White but was too far out for the ball to roll home.

Tattenhoe tried to utilise the pace of Alex Jaura when they could, he laid a perfect pass into Luke Jordan behind the Buckingham back line but he could only fire straight into the waiting hands of keeper Andy Whitehead. Jaura crossed into Tom Lloyd-Roberts late in the half, he went for goal and forced Whitehead down to his left to push away. H/T: 2-0

United started the second half where they left off in the first, Lee Williams cut in from the left before curling straight into White’s arms, then on fifty-four minutes they got their third. A Cooney corner swung into the six-yard box found Williams who thumped his header home. By now the rain was teeming down, but it did not dampen the spirit of the home side who wanted to finish their season off in style, this ignited a spell of four goals inside ten minutes to blow the visitor’s away.

The made it four on the hour mark, some good build up play saw the ball fed into Young inside the Tattenhoe box, and from twelve yards he bagged his second of the afternoon. Within two minutes they made it five when leading scorer McAdam was fed away down the left channel, he advanced to the edge of the box and curled around White into the far corner.

Lee Williams scores from corner

United were now in full attack mode, Guinnane sent Sirett away down the right wing where he progressed to the six-yard box and drove low across goal but no one could get a touch to turn home, and the chance gone. Just two minutes after their fifth came the sixth, Guinnane getting in on the act latching on to a ball through midfield & running thirty odd yards before slipping past the advancing keeper.

Sirett again attacked the right wing, skipping past his marker he got the box again feeding across to Lewis Parkin right in front of goal, however a defender somehow managed to get something on it to divert over the bar. Sirett was now enjoying that right side, drawing a slide tackle in from a defender he left him for dead and headed for goal, as he shot at goal another red shirt appeared from nowhere and threw himself in front of the ball to block and almost certain goal.

Lewis Parkin then latched on to a ball over the Tattenhoe backline, controlling off the floor he was able to get away on goal and shoot from the edge of the area, the ball rolling just wide of the right hand post. With fifteen minutes left Tattenhoe were unlucky not to pull a goal back when Lloyd-Roberts got on the end of a cross but the ball bounced down off the crossbar and away from danger. The flirtation with the United goal lifted their spirits from there on in.

Just a minute later they did get a goal back, Dayle Marshall shooting from twenty yards out and the ball hit the back post and spun in. Jordan then crossed into Jaura who headed across the goal face but wide of the back post, whilst at the other end McAdam curled around the post from twenty yards. The game petered out until the final whistle, sparking celebrations from the Buckingham United squad despite the weather. F/T: 6-1

Please Note: If you use any of our material or images, please ensure you credit sportsshots.org.uk

After the game Sports Shots caught up with United skipper Bobby Cooney: 

For match photography click here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmhWx1Qp

Comments are closed.