SSMFLP; Biggleswade Utd 1-1 Leighton Town

Biggleswade United – 1

Leighton Town – 1

The race for second place in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division saw no advantages taken on Tuesday evening, as Leighton Town could only draw at Biggleswade United, but this did not affect the table as rivals Berkhamsted only managed to share ten goals at home to Leverstock Green. Leighton fell behind early on and were on the back foot for the opening stages, but they grew into the game & equalised from the spot through recent new signing Ash Fuller and went on to dominate the rest of the first period. After the break Leighton continued to press but United fought back and almost snatched a late winner but for a good save from Tom Wyant in the Leighton goal, but both defences did their jobs in the end and a point apiece was a fair reflection of the game.

It took four minutes for the first attack, Fuller received the ball out on the left and fizzed a ball across the goal mouth but with no one near forward enough, the ball rolled away for a goal kick. From there Biggleswade took the lead when Kane Farrell was fed down the left channel, he delivered an inch perfect cross into the Leighton box, the ball just too high for Town defender Matt Hall to reach and waiting in behind was Abraham Eze who headed past Wyant.

United went on to enjoy some time on the ball and had Town defending deep, but on thirteen minutes were almost caught out when Dom Marsala pressured Farrell out on the touchline to win the ball, as the home crowd called for a foul the midfielder was away and squared to Fuller inside the penalty arc, he took a touch before firing low past home keeper Robbie Ponting’s left hand post.

Marsala then played a pass out to Lewis McBride who attacked the right flank, he fizzed low & hard across the six-yard box and with Fuller stretching to get to the cross Jordan Wright somehow managed to flick over for a corner. Alex O’Brien swung the corner in right underneath the crossbar, Ponting seemed to have the ball in his clutches but lost it, a clearance to the edge of the penalty arc was then thumped narrowly over the top by Carl Resch.

Alex O’Brien fouled for penalty

United fought back, a loose ball some twenty-five yards out was seized upon by Farrell and he aimed at the Leighton net, a swooping and dipping drive that eluded Wyants outstretched hands but just didn’t dip enough & flew inches over the crossbar. Leighton equalised on thirty-six minutes when O’Brien on the right-hand side of the United box jinked through three United players & Gerard Martinez promptly stuck out a foot to bring the midfielder down. Fuller took responsibility and sent Ponting the wrong way to level the game.

The visitors almost undone their own hard work minutes later when surrendering possession in their own half allowing Eze to advance towards goal, but he didn’t connect properly and Wyant was behind his shot all the way. Straight back at the opposite end Marsala got in behind the home backline & attempted to square across the box, United skipper Martin Russell sliced the ball straight back to Marsala and he smashed at goal, the ball coming back off the goalframe and was eventually cleared. H/T: 1-1

Ten minutes after the restart James Hatch had a thumping header from a corner cleared off the Biggleswade goal line, followed moments later by another O’Brien corner being swung in and met this time by a great run from Resch who headed over the top. Leighton continued to have the better chances but just could not find the goal they needed to relax, and were almost undone when a Wyant clearance came back off Eze but bounced wide of the open goal from very close range.

Lorrell Smiths pace caused problems

Lorrell Smith came on to add some pace to the attack, and a ball down the right channel for him to chase after saw him get away from his marker, advancing into the box his low shot was blocked by the arm of Ponting and he fell on top of the ball to smother.

The home side then burst back into life with twenty minutes or so left, and picked up the pace sensing maybe they could pick up a late winner, having already beaten Welwyn Garden City at home this season, the league leaders only defeat to date. However, as much as they had the lion’s share of the ball, their crosses were too deep or they ran into a red & white brick wall.

The home side had the best chance of the half when Matt Cooper sent a free kick deep into the Town box, sliding in at the back post Lu Ndovi managed to touch the ball across goal to substitute Joshua Muschett but the ball was at an awkward height and he could only steer goalwards by his shin and the lack of power allowed Wyant to brilliantly dive away to his right to gather.

There was a late chance for the away side, a cross into the box was headed clear and running in O’Brien went for goal on the volley, but the ball flashed across the goal face and wide of Ponting’s right hand post. F/T: 1-1

Attendance: 103

Please Note: If you use any of our material or images, please ensure you credit

After the game Sports Shots spoke to Town boss Scott Reynolds: 

For match photography, click here:

Comments are closed.