SLD1E; Aylesbury 1-5 Arlesey Town

Aylesbury – 1

Arlesey Town – 5

Aylesbury FC began life after Davis Haule with a heavy defeat against bottom of the table Arlesey Town, with a young-looking squad was assembled by Ryan Wiffin, Ryan Collings & Aaron Norman who took the reins following the manager’s decision to leave ten days previously. On an evening where most spectators turned up thinking they were going to witness the home side claim their first win since Boxing Day, against the side who were rock bottom with just one single league victory to their credit this season, the away side defied all the odds and in all honesty could have scored a hatful more all but for the heroics of Ash Jenkins in the Aylesbury goal.

Ash Jenkins man of the match

For the opening few minutes the hosts looked the more likely to open the scoring, creating the better chances despite never really threatening Lewis Elsom in the Arlesey goal, but were rocked on their heels when their guests opened the scoring on fourteen minutes and from there Town enjoyed some lengths of possession and opened up the Aylesbury back line time after time. More worryingly the next three fixtures for FC see them host Beaconsfield who are second in the league, before a trip to league leaders AFC Rushden & Diamonds who boast the top goal scorers and tightest defence in the division, with a game at Marlow sandwiched between the two.

Aylesbury took the game to their visitors early on but lacked any real conviction in the final third and allowed Arlesey to slowly grow in to the game. On four minutes a great ball played into Tony Williams on the left of the Aylesbury box saw him force a good save from Jenkins who had to turn away for a corner. A free kick to the home side saw Garry Jones float the ball in and a glancing header from Davide Pobbe sailed over the Arlesey crossbar.

On thirteen minutes the away side attacked down their right through Dammy Nickels-Benson, he squared across the eighteen-yard line to Billy Lannon whose fierce drive was brilliantly tipped around the post by Jenkins again. However, from the corner the ball was crossed from the left and in front of goal Williams headed home to give Arlesey the lead. From that point they grew in confidence, and Aylesbury started to look nervous every time their opponents got on the ball.

Jenkins kept his side in the game minutes later with another fine save from close range, before a cross from the right from Arti Krasniqi saw him having to back pedal rather hurriedly before claiming with both hands. Aylesbury then had a free kick which saw Ben Stevens flick on to Pobbe, he got a shot away that was blocked by a defender, just as it looked as though he would get a follow up shot in he slipped allowing the ball to roll nicely into the waiting gloves of Elsom.

Not much cheer for the Moles faithful

On twenty-six minutes a wayward cross from the home side saw Joe Walls retrieve the ball and cross to the back post, running in Stevens thought about heading the ball, before switching to consider the acrobatic bicycle kick, but before he could do either the ball had gone for a goal kick leaving him frustrated on the floor. Just ninety seconds later the away side doubled their lead with a classic counter attack, as Aylesbury tried to mount an attack in midfield Rafe Goodman seized on a loose pass, he knocked the ball down the right channel for Lannon to attack with pace, his pinpoint cross found Williams who thumped home off the underside of the crossbar.

With the second goal Arlesey seemed to take the foot off the gas for the remainder of the half, although just before the break a neat pass over the home defence saw Taylor Rhiney beat the offside trap despite some furious claims from those in red, his attempted lob over Jenkins bounced wide much to the relief of the home back line. H/T: 0-2

Aylesbury started the second half with a good move that resulted in Garry Jones firing over the crossbar from the edge of the box, but just before the hour mark they were stunned by a third Town goal. A ball slipped in behind the defensive line saw Williams run on despite the calls of offside and despite a save from Jenkins the ball rolled home, giving the Town man his treble. Before Aylesbury had time to regroup they were four goals down, a free kick awarded out on the right wing saw the ball floated into the box where skipper Joe Steele beat everyone to loop a header over Jenkins and in to spark some wild celebrations amongst the Town squad.

Again Arlesey seemed to relax a little, and were given a warning when a free kick to their hosts saw the ball half cleared to the edge of their area where running in Pobbe fired at goal, the ball brushing the side netting as it went wide. Aylesbury did pull a goal back on sixty-six minutes when Alfi Touceda fed in Harry Scott on the right of the Arlesey area, as Elsom went out to meet the striker he fired low across the keeper into the far bottom corner.

Harry Scott scored Aylesbury goal

This lifted the beleaguered hosts who found a little more belief going forward, a cross from Scott found Pobbe in the middle but under heavy pressure he could do no more than stick out a boot and lift the ball high over the crossbar. However, with fifteen minutes left Arlesey killed off any Aylesbury sprit with their fifth of the evening, a cross from their right saw an initial shot come back off the post, a second Town player attempted to shoot but completely missed but behind him Krasniqi made no mistake blasting past Jenkins.

The remainder of the game was played out at a much slower pace, both sides realising the game was done. A Jones corner was met by the boot of Touceda but he could only lift high over the top, whilst at the other end a through ball for Town substitute Keanu Williams to chase down saw a good recovery and a last ditch tackle from Jordan Jenkins to divert for a corner. In the dying moments, another through ball split the home defence again, this time substitute Sam Tamakloe faced a one on one with Jenkins with the keeper making one final great save, one of the many that earned him the Aylesbury FC man of the match award at the end of the game. F/T: 1-5

Attendance: 57

Please Note: If you use any of our material or images, please ensure you credit

For match images click here:

Comments are closed.