Pinchbeck United 3-0 Buckingham Town

Pinchbeck United – 3

Buckingham Town – 0

A heavily depleted Buckingham Town side went down to a heavy defeat in this top of the table clash with Pinchbeck United at Spalding, and were defending for most of the game yet for a while looked as though they could keep their hosts at bay. Whilst the home side created numerous chances early on, nothing really looked that dangerous and it took a piece of luck for them to then open the scoring on nineteen minutes. With regular keeper Ryan Thrussell failing a late fitness test, goalkeeping coach Diego Vazquez stood in between the posts, and the first goal came rather fortuitously when the experienced shot stopper misjudged a shot that opened the scoring. Town rarely threatened on a bitterly cold afternoon, with the United defence comfortably dealing with anything thrown at them.

It took ten minutes for the first chance for either side to materialise when a right wing cross found Oliver Maltby unmarked in the middle however he could only head up in the air and stand in keeper Vazquez had time to back pedal before gathering. A corner from their left then saw Chris Shipley head at goal but again Vazquez was behind it all the way.

Maltby had a chance on seventeen minutes to break the deadlock when a ball through midfield saw the Town backline completely miss the ball and the Pinchbeck striker was in on goal, spotting the keeper off his line he went for the long range lob but only managed to lift the ball over the crossbar.

Two minutes later the home side took the lead, despite creating the opening chances it took some luck to open the scoring when Josh Smith collected the ball inside the Town box, initially looking as if he’d missed his chance to shoot when Junior Maya got back to cover, he then cut back on the defender and took the shot on which eluded Vazquez and went in.

Opening goal

Pinchbeck continued to threaten and a clever pass through the Buckingham back line played in Smith on the right hand side of the penalty area, Vazquez advanced to narrow the angle and could only watch as the shot rolled inches wide of the far post.

Town had a half chance with ten minutes of the half left when Jelani Blair crossed from their right and running in at the back post Ricardo Archer climbed high but could only help the ball out for a goal kick. On the stroke of half time another cross this time from Samuel Tamakloe was met with a firm header by Chris Wreh but a defender managed to get a block and deflect for a corner. H/T: 1-0

Buckingham attacked early in the second period and driving forward from defence Enock Sare went for goal from twenty five yards but drove over the bar. It then went sour for the visitors just four minutes later as Pinchbeck attacked down their left and as a block came in from Steve Gavrovski the home side appealed for handball, and the referee pointed to the spot.

Pinchbeck double their lead from spot

Maltby took on the responsibility and duly sent Vazquez the wrong way as he planted the ball in the bottom corner. The United striker had another chance moments later after turning his marker but blasted his shot wide of goal.

As the hosts pushed on looking for further goals another good pass into Andrew Tidswell at the front post saw him closely attended by two Buckingham defenders, but he somehow managed to turn and fire the ball across the six yard box but no red shirts were forward enough to get close to tap home.

Town almost got one back when a decent passing move down their left slipped in Kelvin Osei-Addo but United keeper Dan Swan advanced and made a good block with his feet, and a defender was on hand to thump the loose ball to safety.

With ten minutes remaining Pinchbeck put the contest to bed when a throw on their left wasn’t cleared by the Town defence, the ball eventually fell to Liam Ogden who thumped home. F/T: 3-0

Attendance: 67

After the game Sports Shots spoke to David Barron: 

For match photography click here:


Comments are closed.