Winslow United U18’s 1-9 Buckingham Athletic U18’s

Winslow United U18 – 1

Buckingham Athletic U18 – 9

Buckingham Athletic cemented their position in second place in the Allied Counties Youth League North Division table, but closed the gap to top placed Didcot Town to a single point and at the same time gave more game time to players fighting for places in Steve Farmborough’s squad with this convincing win at local rivals Winslow United. The home side got off to the worst possible start conceding after just twenty-six seconds but then regrouped and held their guests at bay almost until half time, but two quick fire goals just before the interval sunk the Winslow hearts and resistance and Athletic romped home in the second period.

Before most spectators, coaches and substitutes had taken their viewing positions for the game Buckingham took the lead, when pressuring the Winslow back line a simple through ball saw Sam Olawale fed through to slot home. Earl Atat was then presented with a chance on a plate from close range, burning the fingers of United keeper Jamie Oliver with a sizzling shot.

On fourteen minutes the impressive Evan Walters skipped a couple of challenges down the right and crossed only to see a team mate have an initial shot blocked and the follow up come back off the bar, before Olawale threatened again down the left but he was superbly marshalled back by Winslow’s Gus Nash who got a block to deflect for a corner before the pacey front man got his shot away.

Athletic management get their point across

From the corner the ball fell to Olawale who fired at goal from the eighteen-yard line but Oliver was behind it all the way, and from there Winslow enjoyed some possession of their own. First Jack Rowe seized on a loose ball just outside the area and curled an effort into the gloves of Larry Mills, before Harry Hadwin nearly made the most of Mills being off his line, going for the top corner he steered his effort wide.

Rowe then fired a low shot in from the edge of the area and again Mills had to get down well to save, whilst at the other end Fin Pardoe tried his luck from distance after some patient Athletic build up play but he dragged his shot wide of Oliver’s left-hand post. Olawale continued to be a threat down the left; another good cross saw Atat in the middle have to leap to get a foot to the cross but he could only help the ball out for a goal kick.

Oliver then had to show a strong hand to deflect away another fierce drive, from the corner Walters went for goal but again the keeper tipped away. Just as it seemed the home side would get to half time with just the single goal deficit, their guests upped the tempo. Five minutes before the break Atat slipped in Olawale through the Winslow defence and faced with a one-on-one with Oliver despatched to double the visitors lead. Two minutes later Athletic made it three with another simple ball over the top which was chased down and slotted home, but a minute later Winslow pulled a goal back when Charlie Willis battling down the left got his cross away and running in shoulder to shoulder with a defender Jack Rowe did well to get a foot to the ball to divert home. F/T: 1-3

Buckingham defender Luke McAndrew had Oliver blocking with his feet early in the second half, but on fifty seven minutes the away side started to assert their dominance. A surging run by debutant Kyran O’Dell saw him evade a handful of half-hearted challenges but he was eventually stopped on the edge of the box but his strike partner was on hand to curl home.

Olawale grabbed a treble

Geraint Minney then almost added to the scoreline when a great run into the Winslow box saw Oliver come out to clear only to thump the ball straight at the Athletic substitute and the rebound rolled wide for a goal kick. McAndrew then saw a thumping header clear the bar from an in swinging corner just past the hour mark, but moments later it was five when Olawale was again fed in behind the back line and slotted home.

Within sixty seconds of the fifth came the sixth, another corner into the six yard box was blocked but the loose bell fell kindly to O’Dell who didn’t hesitate to thump home. Minney was then denied again by Oliver diving to deny with his feet, but there was nothing the United keeper could do when a half cleared cross fell to unmarked Rory Busby who turned and rifled into the top corner.

Another superb run and cross from Walters was then narrowly stabbed wide by O’Dell, but Athletic grabbed their eighth with eleven minutes left following another ball fed down the left channel. O’Dell then saw a shot deflected off Oliver’s arm onto the crossbar and over for a goal kick, and in the final minute a long ball saw Busby away on goal and he had time to steady before picking his spot and firing into the bottom corner. F/T: 1-9

After the game Sports Shots caught up with Athletic coach Kit Bamber with Kyran & Evan: 


For match photo’s click here:


Comments are closed.