B&B Snr Trophy, 1R: Robins progress in county cup

The Robins made the short trip to Mursley United on Saturday to play their Berks and Bucks Senior Trophy first round tie.

Mursley had only been defeated once in seven league outings this season and a tricky afternoon lay ahead for Gary Ollard’s men.

Buckingham started brightly and had the lions share of early possession with Dan Silver and Dan Simpson causing problems with their pace and Simpson was unlucky not to open the scoring within five minutes as a tempting low cross just evaded him with the goal gaping.

Mursley were causing problems of their own at the other end Thrussell made a smart save before timely interceptions from first Gavrovski and then Muya kept the scores level.

Jamie Nicholls had the ball in the net for Town on 15 minutes but had his effort struck off for offside as Buckingham tried to get their noses in front.

There was then a delay in play as several Robins players were ordered from the pitch to change their socks due to some having white trim and some not and the stoppage seemed to affect the match in a negative way as amid the confusion the referee issued a flurry of needless yellow cards to players from both teams.

Dan Silver put Town ahead just before the half-hour mark as he raced through the home defence and shot powerfully home and it was Silver again, six minutes later, who doubled Buckingham’s advantage with a low shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Daniel Silver

Mursley’s Ellis Spence was shown a second yellow card before the break and was sent off by the referee and he could count himself unlucky as neither offence warranted him seeing red.

Former Robin Lewis Delahaye then broke clear of the visiting defence and chose to square the ball when he looked certain to score and the two follow up efforts were blocked by Buckingham’s back line as Mursley tried to reduce the deficit before the break.

The second half opened with the home side showing great energy and determination and ten minutes in they got themselves on the scoresheet as a long cross was steered home between Thrussell and the post.

Five minutes later left back Jordan McDougall almost equalised as he broke away with pace but saw his fierce shot hit the crossbar and ricochet away to safety.

At the other end Nicholls saw his shot across goal just miss at the far post and Silver spurn his hat-trick goal as he fired over from close range.

The home keeper Sam Jay had to leave his area to head away to safety as Simpson raced onto a through ball with ten minutes remaining and as the game swung from end to end Thrussell went full-length to keep out a powerful goal-bound free kick from the edge of the box.

Ryan Thrussell

Buckingham finally ended the contest in added time as Raheem Khan clipped a precise ball over the home defence for Jelani Blair to fire home.

Jelani Blair

Comments are closed.