Olney Town v Thrapston Town

Olney Town – 2

Thrapston Town – 3

Olney got off to a shaky start on Friday evening at home to Thrapston, conceding inside two minutes and then having keeper Josh McAdoo to thank for a brilliant save shortly after and the crossbar to thank for denying from a penalty, but a brace from Drew Mitten saw them lead at half time. However the visitors came out for the second half with some intent and got the goals to take the points back to Northamptonshire.

Thrapston took the game to their hosts from the off, a cross half cleared by the Olney defence saw Dave Goodman thump over the bar just seconds into the game, but just a minute later they did take the lead when Goodman received the ball just inside the area and absolutely smashed it into the top corner.

Goodman opens scoring

Ox six minutes a corner to Thrapston saw Cory James run across his marker and glance a header at goal and McAdoo threw himself up and backwards to tip over for a corner. Olney had their first sniff at goal on thirteen, Luca Seminerio evaded three challenges out on the left as he drove into the box and fired across goal wide of the back post.

A long free kick from Thrapston then saw the ball simply sent long into the Olney box, as defender and striker chased the ball down a challenge was deemed a foul and a penalty awarded. Jedd Whiteman stepped up and smashed the spot kick against the crossbar and the danger was cleared.

Ten minutes before the break Olney were gifted an equaliser when Thrapston keeper Liam Fox taking a free kick got it all wrong, and in an attempt to play the ball out to his full back instead found Drew Mitten in front of the empty goal who calmly levelled the game.

The goal lifted the home side who won a free kick right on the eighteen yard line, and Mitten smashed it wide. Then on thirty nine minutes a foul in the Thrapston box saw Olney awarded a penalty, and Mitten put his side ahead going into the break. H/T: 2-1

Mitten gives Olney lead

A scrappy start to the second half saw neither side really take control, the referee’s whistle seemed more noticeable than any real goal chances. Thrapston then equalised out of the blue just before the hour mark, what appeared to be an attempted overhead kick on the left of the Olney box was sliced across the goal mouth and waiting in the middle Liam Hanley volleyed home giving McAdoo no chance.

Olney did get the ball in the net again on sixty five however the whistle had already sounded for an earlier infringement, and just two minutes later Thrapston were ahead when a superb left wing cross was met by the head of Wayne Brown at the near post.

Olney battled to get back in the game from there, Jordan Appleton had a run down their left from a goal kick, and fired wide of the advancing Liam Fox. Fox then flipped himself backwards to tip over a Josh Crawley header which was creeping in underneath the crossbar, and a Sam Parrish cross was then glanced into the waiting gloves of Fox by Crawley.

With time running out a Josh Crawley cross thumped against Jason Crawley inside the box, and before the substitute had time to react Fox had gathered the loose ball, and the last action saw a Seminerio cross met on the half volley by Christian Small but sliding into the shot as he met the ball he could only fire over. F/T: 2-3

Attendance: 86

After the game, Olney manager Neil Griffiths spoke to Sports Shots: 

For match photography click here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm2jzQDT
Please follow and like us:

Comments are closed.