Croughton U18 2-6 Winslow Utd U18

Croughton U18’s – 2

Winslow United U18’s – 6

Winslow United Under 18’s confirmed their status as Border Counties U18 Division Two champions with a comfortable win at Croughton on Sunday. With the home side only able to muster ten players the odds were always stacked against them especially against the side that have been scoring goals for fun of late, and so it proved with Winslow powering into a four goal lead by half time. The pace slowed after the break in the warm sunshine, and the hosts were able to grab a couple of consolation goals but even a red card for United did not diminish their superiority in the game.

A bright start to the game saw a Winslow corner headed over and a free kick to Croughton curled into the waiting gloves of Ollie Bradbury, again standing in for the injured Sam Walker. The visitors took the lead on five minutes when a goal kick was allowed to bounce by the Croughton defence, Dan Chittenden was on it in a flash and after skipping through four defenders inside the box he squared to Charlie Willis who slotted home with some ease.

Winslow scored again on nine minutes but a raised flag chalked the effort off, just before Will Hornby flashed a shot just wide of the right hand post from the eighteen yard line. A Croughton break away then saw a ball behind the United defence leave a player facing a one on one with Bradbury but he could only blaze way over the top.

A long throw from the away side was then allowed to travel right across the goal face, and sliding in at the back post Finn Molloy forced a superb reactive save from the home keeper, before Winslow scored again on twenty one minutes & again a raised flag denied the goal. Three minutes later however the lead was doubled when a corner was flicked on by Will Hornby and Finn Molloy tucked home.

Two minutes later it was three when Charlie Willis did well down the left evading a couple of tackles before setting up Dan Chittenden in front of goal to slot into the corner. On the half hour mark Chittenden made it four when a long clearance from the Winslow defence set the striker away with a Croughton defender, winning the race to the ball he fired across goal from the edge of the area and into the bottom corner.

Chittenden scores Winslow fourth

Winslow then threatened to run riot, the remainder of the half saw the home side under the cosh and lucky not to concede again, Charlie Willis hit the crossbar, and Finn Molloy forced another good save from the Croughton keeper the best of the numerous chances created. H/T: 0-4

The Croughton keeper was soon busy again after the restart saving well from Louis O’Connell, and from the corner Ollie Bradbury headed over having swapped places in goal with Jamie Wickham during the break. Six minutes into the half saw the visitors strike their fifth of the afternoon, when an Ollie Bradbury cross was converted from close range by Charlie Willis.

Willis scores his second

Bill Bridgeman then volleyed over the bar before the home side scored on fifty eight minutes, a cross field pass was fired into the bottom corner from the corner of the box. Dan Chittenden then flashed a shot wide, before his side scored their third goal of the game to be chalked off for offside, and Bridgeman saw an effort brilliantly tipped over by the home keeper.

Dan Chittenden then completed his hat trick on seventy one minutes taking his tally for the season to forty goals. Two minutes later Winslow were reduced to ten men when Tommy Short was shown a red card for a foul, and moments later Jamie Wickham had to be alert to a ball played in behind his defence, coming out to block with his feet to deny the home side from a one on one. Croughton did score a second late on, and there was time for Finn Molloy and Alex Iyengar to shoot wide and over respectively before the final whistle. F/T: 2-6

For all the match photo’s click here:


Comments are closed.