Great Horwood 2-1 Duston Dynamo’s

NBDFL Interdivisional Trophy Final

Tuesday evening saw the final NBDFL cup final of the 2016/17 season, with Great Horwood overcoming Duston Dynamo’s at Stratford Fields, but it took one hundred and twenty minutes of football to determine a winner, and a penalty kick was all that separated the sides at the end. A game of very few chances saw a goal in each half send the tie into extra time, but a Sam Archer penalty in the first half of extra time saw the Buckinghamshire side lift the trophy.

Duston had the lion’s share of possession in the first half, and a fifth minute curling effort from Luke Adams had Horwood keeper Ian McStraw tipping around his post for a corner. A corner then for Horwood was only half cleared to the edge of the Duston box and Andy Brunning lifted over the crossbar.

A dangerous twenty second minute right wing cross from Dale Armitage saw Tom Parker stick out a knee to divert for a Horwood corner, when the ball could have gone anywhere. But from the corner Horwood took the lead, when Stuart Parker & Eddie Archer both rose to attack the ball only to see a block in the six yard box, however the ball fell to Parker who made no mistake from five yards out.

Stuart Parker opens the scoring

Just past the half hour mark the scores were almost level when a poor clearance from Horwood saw Luke Adams strike across goal only to watch his effort bounce off the far post and away to safety. H/T: 1-0

The second half began as the first ended, with a battle of midfields not generating much in the way of goal scoring opportunities. Dylon Feeney tried his luck for the Northamptonshire side from outside the box but could only screw wide.

From a Horwood throw the ball worked its way out to Dale Armitage but he blazed well over the top, and another goal did not seem likely at this stage. But with fourteen minutes left Duston found an equaliser although somewhat fortuitously.

A free kick up into the box was headed back across goal by Keith Nibbs and in front of his own keeper Eddie Archer attempted to head clear but only managed to glance into his own net.

Duston leveller

In the final minute Duston had the chance to win it, when another ball into the area was flicked on and with some space Xhamil Tocilla lined up to shoot from close range but slipped at the final second allowing Horwood to clear their lines. F/T: 1-1

An early corner to Great Horwood in extra time wasn’t cleared by the Duston defence and Stuart Parker tried an audacious overhead kick that grazed the crossbar before going over. Ryan Tappin then got down the right and crossed to Terry Cronin in front of goal, as the Dynamo defence appealed for offside the flag stayed down but Cronin could only steer wide.

Tappin then cut in from the left before firing into keeper Spencer Hack’s gloves, and moments later Ben Thickbroom got down the Horwood right and drilled a low cross hoping for a deflection from close range but the ball was eventually cleared, with team mates in space in the middle.

Eleven minutes into extra time saw Horwood awarded a penalty, Eddie Archer drove into the box and under pressure from Duston skipper Pat O’Dwyer went down, despite the protests the referee awarded the spot kick. Sam Archer made no mistake from the spot.

Luke Adams drove a low free kick straight at Ian McStraw as Duston tried to get an equaliser in the second period of extra time all to no avail, and a late Ryan Tappin free kick for Horwood curled into the arms of Spencer Hack, as the game drifted away from Duston. F/T AET: 2-1

To view all match photo’s click here:


Comments are closed.