NB&DFL, PDT, SF: Horwood grab late winner against Deanshanger to reach Premier Division Trophy final

By Darren Stanger

Dixon 27
Parker 85
Ben Green 29

1. Ian McStraw
2. Ben Thickbroom
3. Terry Cronin
4. Adam Armitage
5. Stuart Parker
6. Eddie Archer
7. Andy Brunning
8. Sam Archer
9. Adam Dixon
10. Ryan Tappin
11. Dale Armitage
12. Jake Hilliard
14. Brandon Bowes
15.James Baker
16.Chris McStraw
17. Mark Broom

1. Dave Elder
2. Ross Baldwin
3. Sam Barker
4. Jamie Cooke
5. Dave Walker
6. Ant Sherwood
7. Scott Valentine
8. Scott Moore
9. Ben Green
10.Conor Roberts
11. Sam Sibley
12. Ryan Andrews
14. Matty Walkins
15.Charlie Green
16. Alex Carroll

Second-placed Great Horwood progressed to the North Bucks Premier Division final thanks to a late winner by Stuart Parker against a well-organised and hard working Deanshanger side last weekend.

Adam Dixon

Deanshanger nearly opened the scoring in the fifth minute when Ben Green hit the post from close range following Conor Roberts dangerous corner into the box. Green also had a further opportunity to score when he found himself clear on goal but his shot was fired straight at Great Horwood goalkeeper Ian McStraw.

However Great Horwood gradually regained their league momentum and started to play some good passing football. Andy Brunning’s clever pass found Ryan Tappin but his low shot was saved by the feet of Deanshanger goalkeeper Dave Elder.

Deanshanger were hard to break down with a well organised and experienced defence and restricted Horwood to a few long-range efforts which did not trouble the Deanshanger goalkeeper and went over the crossbar.

In the 27th minute Horwood took the lead when Elder failed to hold Sam Archer’s corner into the area and the ball fell neatly to Adam Dixon who volleyed the ball sweetly into the net.

However Deanshanger hit back immediately and equalised with a well-worked goal. Dave Walker’s dangerous long free kick into the area found the head of Sam Sibley, whose clever flick found Green who finished superbly to put Deanshanger back into the game.

Deanshanger had a goal disallowed just before half-time when Sibley was offside when he struck the ball past McStraw following a dangerous run from Green.

Horwood started the second half in a more positive attitude and Dixon nearly regained Horwood the lead when his well-hit volley went just over the bar following Ryan Tappin’s dangerous cross into the box.

Horwood were having most of the possession and were made to work hard but were finding the Deanshanger defence hard to break down. Jamie Cooke and Dave Barker were dominant in the air and put in some good important challenges.

Deanshanger were a dangerous side coming forward but the Great Horwood defence was just as well organised as Deanshanger’s with Adam Armitage and Stuart Parker putting in some great challenges and reduce Deanshanger to a few long range efforts in the second half. Ben Thickbroom and Terry Cronin also had a solid game at the back and also caused some problems for Deanshanger coming forward.

Horwood had a goal disallowed for offside following Thickbroom’s dangerous cross into the box.

Substitute Brandon Bowes added some pace for Horwood and created a superb opportunity when his pin-point cross found Sam Archer whose shot went wide of the post.

However Archer soon made amends when his brilliant pass found Stuart Parker, who slotted the ball home into the bottom corner.

Stuart Parker (yellow shirt)

Deanshanger had to thank Walker with a superb last ditch challenge on Bowes when he was clear on the Deanshanger goal.

In the dying minutes Deanshanger nearly got a late equaliser when Ross Baldwin’s long range free-kick beat everybody and hit the post and then McStraw pulled off a fine fingertip save when he tipped over Scott Moore’s powerful header following Scott Valentine’s corner.

Despite the late pressure from Deanshanger, it was Horwood who hung on to reach the final of the Premier Division trophy.

Comments are closed.