NB&DFL: United’s unbeaten weekend

Buckingham United’s Saturday reserve team travelled to Deanshanger with the aim of further compounding the misery we had already inflicted on their Div Two title charge back in February. This game was destined to be a greater challenge with no help from the first team and a number of key men back in the Deanshanger side.

Deanshanger began passing strongly and confidently, however United’s midfield soon learned that the ball was there for the taking, and soon the whole team began passing fluidly to each other with the central back three looking comfortable and nice moves flowing throughout the team in particular up to Olly Watts and out to Tomas Goodgame who was bounding down the right regularly. However, the final ball through to striker Jonny Ackroyd didn’t apppear to want to come in the early stages.

Mid-way into the first half, Dave Akam nicked the ball in the centre of the pitch and played a one-two with Olly Watts towards the edge of the box and sent a left-footed effort soaring past the reach of the keeper and into the far-right of the net. 1-0 United. Confidence resonated throughout the team. Adam Matthews was enjoying one of his finest performances to date and kept a technically-gifted striker firmly in his pocket, meanwhile Ben Oxley was galloping out of defence and up the left hand-side, and James Watts was typically faultless. Keeper Andy Whitehead stayed alert after having little to do to keep United ahead going into half time with a good reaction save, making amends for an earlier near-calamity of letting an aimless ball over the top rebound off the post. All-in-all, a brilliant first half and a deserved lead.

By mid-way through the second half, Buckingham had lost Sear, Akam, and Van-Kleek to injury, however all of manager Ant Weights substitutions slotted in seamlessly to maintain the solid system, though the style of play did change to more of a ‘get-it-out’ philosophy! One of these clearances caused confusion in the Deanshanger backline and Ackroyd battled both centrebacks and bounced back up off the floor to run in on goal and slot it under the onrushing keeper. 2-0 United.

The rest of the half involved United chasing the ball, though thankfully Deanshanger’s petulance with every refereeing decision generously enabled United to get regular breathers and keep their shape. A poor clearance and a goal-mouth scrap ended in Deanshanger getting one back to half the deficit through Pollard to give United a nervy last 10 minutes. In the closing moments the Deanshanger captain blazed one criminally over the bar from 6 yards out, much to the amusement of Hailstone who had arguably battled harder than anyone all day and been the boo-boy of the home fans.

In extra time, the referee was forced to dismiss not one but two Deanshanger players after the occasion became too much for them, consolidating another fantastic and deserved win for the Buckingham boys over a team who would, otherwise for United, be unbeaten.

Please see all our results and scorers below from our historic weekend, plus we’ve got another report to come.

Buckingham University 2 – 2 Buckingham United
Goals: M. Carr, M. Young

Deanshanger Athletic Football Club Reserves 1 – 2 Buckingham United Reserves
Goals: D. Akam, J. Ackroyd.

MKSL Knock Out Cup
Great Linford Wanderers 0 – 7 Buckingham United Sunday A
Goals: J. Kumar (2), L. Dench, R. Roberts, A. Urqhart, C. Burnikell, and on OG.

Buckingham United Sunday B 6 – 0 Newton Leys
Goals: A. Peacock (3), J. Hinson, M. Gregory and D. Fallon


Comments are closed.