NB&DFL: Horwood progress into next round of Premier Division trophy by Daz Stanger

By Daz Stanger

Parker 8
Dixon 16
Sam Archer 36
Tappin 54, 86

Arnott (pen) 49
Nathan Gardner 83

1. Craig Woolley
2. Ben Thickbroom
3. Terry Cronin
4. Adam Armitage
5. Stuart Parker
6 . Eddie Archer
7. Andy Brunning
8. Sam Archer
9. Adam Dixon
10. Brandon Bowes
11. Ryan Tappin
Steve Brunning, Darren Sirett, Ian McStraw

1. Jack Banham
2. Lewis Evans
3. George Raynor
4. Nathan Gardner
5. Liam Lake
6. Matt Jeskins
7. Adam Donnelly
8. Steve Hirons
9. Ryan Arnott
10. Adam Cooper
11. Michael Gray
Matt Weston, Jordan Gardner, Dan Somerton

Great Horwood progressed into the next round of the North Bucks Premier Division Trophy with a 5-2. home victory over Brackley Sports.

Horwood were missing a couple of players, including Dale Armitage, who was injured from the previous weeks game.

In cold and wintry conditions Horwood took the lead in the eighth minute when Stuart Parker powerfully headed in from close range meeting Sam Archer’s dangerous corner into the box.

Adam Dixon then made it 2-0 following a superb low cross into the area by Brandon Bowes; Dixon was able to cleverly head the ball into the bottom corner.

Andy Brunning and Ryan Tappin’s pace was causing problems for Brackley as Horwood always looked dangerous coming forward.

Jack Banham pulled off a good diving save from Bowes to prevent the scoreline increasing.

Eddie Archer, Andy Brunning and Ryan Tappin all had opportunities to increase the lead but their efforts went over the bar.

Brackley had further problems when keeper Jack Banham went off injured with defender Lewis Evans having to take his place in between the posts. Evans was soon brought into action when he pulled off a fine save tipping wide Sam Archer’s powerful half volley past the post.

However Evans was powerless from preventing Horwood going 3-0 up when Sam Archer shot, after a good solo run, flew into the back of the net.

Sam Archer

Craig Woolley pulled off a fine save from Steve Hirons as his long-range effort was tipped wide of the post as Brackley tried hard to get back into the game.

Ryan Tappin could have increased Horwood’s lead just before half time following some great interlinking play with Andy Brunning on the right wing, however Tappin’s effort went just over the crossbar.

Brackley started the second half more positively and were awarded a penalty in the 49th minute. Substitute Jordan Gardner clever through ball into the box found Adam Cooper however he was brought down in the penalty area. Ryan Arnott neatly slotted the penalty away to reduce the deficit and put Brackley briefly back into the game.

Any chance of a Brackley comeback was soon dashed when five minutes later Tappin’s neat finish into the bottom corner increased Horwood’s lead to 4-1.

Ryan Tappin

In the 61st minute the ever-dangerous Tappin was brought down in the penalty area following a good breakthrough run into the box. However Andy Brunning’s penalty was brilliantly saved by Evans.

Nathan Gardner pulled a goal back for Brackley with a superbly taken free kick which left Woolley no chance in the Horwood goal to make the score 4-2 before Ryan Tappin scored a deserved second goal for Horwood when he neatly lobbed the keeper with a superb finish to make the final score 5-2 to home side.

Craig Woolley did pull off a fine save in the final seconds of the game tipping Ryan Arnott’s powerful effort wide of the post .

Comments are closed.